Saturday, November 08, 2008

300

In honor of my 300th post, I need your help:
I recently joined a photography club. I have met some amazingly talented photographers who run the gamut from incredibly successful professionals to very, very, very good hobbyists. Twice a year they have a "members-only" show where each of us gets to have 1 or 2 (depending on space) photos on display. I really, really want to participate, but I'm having a bit of uncertainty about what to submit. I want to pick my best photos, but it's so hard to look at my own body of work and single anything out.

Here's what you can do:

If you have some time, please look through my Flickr stream, be blown away by somthing (or just kind of like something) and tell me about it. Sets that may interest you: My Favorites Photographically, Flowers, My Working Portfolio.

These are the ones I am considering and I want to know what you think. I especially want to know if you think any of these would look perfectly at home on a gallery wall or if any of them look incredibly amatuer and have no business being anywhere near a gallery wall.


Thank you!

(For any of you that were around the last time I asked for some feedback, I have been going back and rereading your comments. As an update: I chickened out showing my prints to the shop owner. I think maybe an etsy shop might be the way to go first? I'm just not sure and I will approach this subject another time.)

2 comments:

Swistle said...

Okay, I just went through them! I saw a LOT of really pretty photos, and so what I did was look for the photos that made me want to look LONGER. The pretty ones are perfect for magazines and greeting cards, but I think of the "look longer" ones as having art potential (something you can hang on your wall and continue to want to look at year after year). On one run-through, I liked:

D110208_034a Something about that drooping flower makes me feel funny. I can't tell if it's drooping sadly or if it's peering curiously. The photo feels like it has a message to convey, and I look longer because I'm trying to figure out what the message is.

Ghost Band -- Especially with that title.

Spring House Door

Summer Kitchen

DSC_9289 The fun zooming one.

Vase (from March 15). Most of the up-close of vases/flowers seem like good greeting cards, but this one held my attention for a lot longer. Not sure why, but it did. I kept wanting to look at it more.

DSC_5473 The tired mommy one. I really liked it, and wanted to look at it for a long time.

Christina said...

What an awesome opportunity!I definitely think the third one here is a winner.

How did you find that group? I'd love to find a local group to get involved with.