Friday, December 29, 2006

Christmas Week Recap

We had a wonderful Christmas. We spent a lot of time opening presents and playing with new toys. Driving and loading/unloading the car. Visiting and talking and eating and drinking.

I ate waayyyy too many cookies. Jack ate waayyyy too many cookies. Sarah delighted everyone with her friendly disposition. And my husband impressed us all with his cooking and entertaining prowess.

So now it is New Year's weekend. We have had a busy and yet relaxing week. We joined Netflix again and have watched several movies this week. (Including, for those of you already in the awesome sci-fi series loop, the miniseries of Battlestar Galactica).

My husband and I even got to spend a whole day alone together shopping for Christmas presents for ourselves. It was so nice to be alone. We didn't have to push any strollers or carts, we didn't have to wait outside of a store to pacify babies, and we could walk at our own pace and not rush around waiting for the ticking time-bomb of grumpiness to explode. We shopped for fun, grown-up things like jewelery, wine glasses and cable-knit sweaters.

And, now, we are getting ready for the next weekend of visiting with friends and eating too much and having fun. Our friends, Bob and Marie*, will be staying over New Year's Eve with their lovely daughter, Ally*. We will put the kids to bed early and then stay up all night (ok, 12:05 if we're lucky).

I am looking forward to getting back to normal and starting the new year. I will claim to not have any new year's resolutions, but secretly, I have a mental list. Maybe it's the perfectionist in me, but I love a fresh start. This year will be a good year, a settling year. We will not have any babies this year or buy any houses or move anything. We will be a family going through the rhythm of the days. We will sit back and watch our babies grow and grow.

*Names changed to see if they really do read my blog. Something about "no time" and "I don't even check email."

No comments: