Tuesday, February 05, 2008

A Few Things About My Boy

A few of things about my boy:

He had his first real "reading" this week. He can "read" his name and Sarah, Mom, and Dad. But he was coloring the other morning and pointed to the words at the top of the page and said, "go, go." He could read it. We've never studied the word, "go," I've never pointed it out to him. But he figured it out along the way and he knew what the words at the top of the page said.

:::

Also, he says letters have "uppercase" and "downercase."

:::

And with a heavy sigh, I tell you the next amazing thing about him. Jack loves to change his shoes. (This isn't why I sigh, that's the next paragraph; this is actually quite charming). He loves shoes. He changes shoes at least 3 to 4 or more times a day. In any given day he will wear flip flops, snow boots, sneakers and dress shoes. Some shoes are in the bottom of our coat closet and he often will sit in front of this closet debating the next shoe choice. I get impatient with him because when he sits with that door hanging open, Sarah butts in there and pulls random stuff out or Jack will catch a glimpse of something else he will want to get into and it will just cause more mess for me to clean up.

Yesterday morning I was impatient and had said several times to him to close the door already. He knew I was getting irritated and said, "don't be mad at me."

I stopped. I don't ever want him to think I'm mad at him. Of course, in his 3 year old way, he was very honestly telling me he didn't like the way I had spoken to him. He didn't think I was mad at him in the way adults get mad, saying mean things and sulking. But that was how it felt to him. And I need to be a little more patient with him. There will be a day when I'm not cleaning up the shoes from the closet ten times a day. So I'll just have to live with it until then.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

a future Al Bundy: Shoes Salesman. :)